Thanks to everyone who made Arisia 2020's Blood Drive another great success. Let's do it again next year!
Counting from our first blood drive at Arisia '04 through Arisia '20, you donated 1,571 units of blood to Children's Hospital and MGH. Massachusetts General Hospital and the Children's Hospital of Boston are both delighted by your generosity!
Arisia '21 will be going virtual and so will the Blood Drive.
Heinlein Society Blood Drives, including the successful Arisia Blood Drive we've held since 2004, are reimagined this year, as so much else has been. Please consider donating whole blood, power red cells (double reds), platelets, plasma for transfusion, or COVID-19 antibodies via convalescent plasma any time from now through the end of the con at a place, time, and with an agency convenient for you. Special thanks for those going to our long time partners, Massachusetts General Hospital and Boston Children's Hospital!
Please take a selfie with:
- "I donated today" sticker
- the institution's name and/or logo
- something with the con name (T-shirt, badge, water bottle, Souvenir Book, ...) It can be a hand drawn sign.
As long as the photo has the required items, you don't need to be in the photo.
Please send the selfie to BloodDriveChair@HeinleinSociet
- Type of donation (Whole Blood, Double or Power Red, or other)
- How you want to be listed on our website (Badge name or "Attendee at [Con Name]" is OK)
- Do we have permission to publish a thumbnail of your photo?
- If you would like a Heinlein Society Blood Drive pin
- Name and a valid USPS return address so we can send you a thank you card, ribbon for your next in person con, and a pin (if desired).
Selfie thumbnails are on a virtual Blood Drive page under each con on the Heinlein Society Web Page.
Why a blood drive?
The Heinlein Society exists to preserve the legacy renowned writer Robert A. Heinlein left us in novels, essays, speeches, and short stories. We "pay it forward," Heinlein's oft-expressed phrase, since we can never pay back the riches he shared with us. If you've ever considered donating blood, please take this opportunity. If you've ever enjoyed the Grand Master's work, thank him by paying it forward in a way he would have deeply appreciated. Mr. Heinlein traveled extensively to promote this important cause and frequently donated blood himself.
Not a donor? No problem!
Volunteer to help the donors have an enjoyable experience! Give a smile, a word of thanks, or hold the other hand for a new donor. Email @email.
Massachusetts General Laws allow 16 year old donors to donate blood with parental permission.
- Arisia '20 donated a total of 100 units.
Friday: Children's received a total of 63 units.
Saturday: MGH received a total of 37 units.
- Arisia '19
Friday: Children's had 38 donors who gave a total of 32 units.
Saturday: MGH had 64 donors who gave a total of 52 units.
- Arisia '18
Friday: Children's had 61 donors who gave a total of 52 units.
Saturday: MGH had 81 donors who gave a total of 66 units.
- Arisia '17
Friday: Children's had 58 donors who gave a total of 48 units.
Saturday: MGH had 70 donors who gave a total of 61 units.
- Arisia '16, 146 presenting, 36 deferred, 110 units collected
Friday: Children's had 64 present to donate, deferred 19, and were delighted to have 45 successful.
Saturday: MGH says 82 people presented, 17 were temporarily deferred, so a total of 65 people actually donated blood to them.
- At Arisia '15: 126 presenting, 110 units collected.
- At Arisia '14 145 presenting, 116 units collected.
- At Arisia '13: Total for the weekend - 113 units. Pretty good for being in the middle of a flu epidemic.
Saturday 71 presenting - 63 units collected.
Sunday 75 presenting - 50 units collected.
- At Arisia '12, you donated 120 pints.
- At Arisia '11, you donated 124 pints.
- At Arisia '10, 101 pints were collected.
- At Arisia '09, 138 people showed up and 103 pints were collected.
- At Arisia '08, 68 people showed up and 60 pints were collected.
- At Arisia '07, 67 people showed up and 57 pints were collected.
- At Arisia '06, 48 advance appointments became 65 people presenting to donate and 61 actually donating.
- At Arisia '05, (during the Blizzard of ’05) fans donated 48 pints of blood.
- At Arisia '04, fans donated 37 units, a wonderful surprise for a first time venue!